I had a numb bum....and bara brith!

Hi all

Well things have been quite mundane here in the last couple of days.

Car had her two year developmental check yesterday and it went reasonably well apart from my HV being a bit of an idiot and showing her the pink bookstart bag at the start so all he got from her was "No, Finished, that one" when she was meant to be pointing things out. But you'll be happy to know that she passed (really at 2, come on why do we make her be a performing seal!!) everything and is a healthy growing girl (durr , I'd told him that!!).

Today I started my Supporting Students course that I've enrolled on as some professional development for my job and for the first time in ages I got a very numb bum while sitting there listening to the first part of the lecture!

Anyway by popular demand, (yes that'll be you Working Mum!) here is my mum's bara brith recipe. (For all of you that don't know bara brith is a kind of speckled bread or fruit cake made with cold tea)

Bara Brith Te oer - cold tea Bara brith

1 cup cold tea

1 cup sugar ( use granulated)

1 cup mixed fruit

1 egg

6oz self raising flour

Bring cold tea, sugar and mixed fruit to the boil for a few minutes and then let it cool.

Mix in flour and egg and then place in loaf tin ( I use one lined with greaseproof paper /baking parchment - whichever one that is the one that doesn't stick)

Cook in oven at 350F/ Gas Mark 4 for 45 minutes (this is an approximate time depending on your oven - my mum wasn't the best on timings)

It will then look a bit like this (not my pic by the way Neb's eaten ours!)
 Slice, butter and serve

Enjoy.

I'll be back tomorrow but not here - guest post Friday here we come!

Comments

  1. Thank you! That'll be this weekend's baking sorted then. Looks scrummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, dim one here is that cold tea with or without milk and does it change the taste depending on how well mashed the tea is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That'd be cold tea without milk. I normally use teabags and then let them steep for a while like overnight and then make it up!
    BNMx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm....this sounds good. Gotta try this one with the kiddos!! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont